Raise awareness among state legislators, legislative staff and other state policymakers about compatible land use strategies, efforts to sustain neighboring working lands and conservation of critical habitats and species in a larger effort to preserve military mission at certain military and federal facilities and the communities neighboring these facilities.
- We worked closely with NCSL legislative leadership to create an Executive Committee Task Force to raise awareness among NCSL members and other state policymakers about these problems.
- We worked closely with Task Force members and our federal client to develop positions on sustainability issues (on behalf of NCSL).
- We identified successful model programs and model legislation for use by the states.
- Worked with NCSL and staff to develop publications intended to raise awareness about the land use challenges and catalogue best practices developed by states around the country.
- We helped to design military facility and range tours for Task Force members and local community leaders.
An inaugural meeting in Texas was attended by more than 40 legislators from around the country. The work with the Task Force over the last seven years has helped improve working relationships with state legislators and increase awareness about federal facility sustainability challenges caused by both the federal facilities and by growing urban encroachment around these facilities. The work is ongoing to this day.