Also meeting: PUERTO RICO and UNITED STATES VIRGIN ISLANDS.
Idaho - Upcoming special session on vaccine mandates scheduled for August 1.
Alaska - Upcoming special session on appropriations scheduled for August 2.
Iowa - Upcoming special session on redistricting scheduled for August 2.
Oregon - Upcoming special session on redistricting scheduled for September 20.
STATE AND LOCAL HIGHLIGHTS
Trending in the States This Week: Two energy bills in Massachusetts
A hearing is scheduled for July 27 regarding Massachusetts HB 2167. This measure would require all new buildings, building construction projects, or major renovation projects for which the building permit application is submitted on or after January 1, 2022, to be all-electric and not possess on-site fossil fuel infrastructure, with exceptions.
Another hearing is scheduled for July 27 regarding Massachusetts SB 1197. This measure creates a transition office in the Department of Career Services, within the executive office of labor and workforce development to ensure that workers employed in the energy sector who are displaced due to efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions or transition from fossil fuels to clean energy have immediate access to employment and training opportunities in clean energy industries and related fields.
Recent Executive Orders: Cybersecurity Task Force issued in Kansas
Governor Laura Kelly (D) issued an executive order on July 13 creating the Governor's Cybersecurity Task Force. The task force will be responsible for the following:
- Facilitating cross-industry and government collaboration on the practices used to mitigate cybersecurity risks to critical infrastructure;
- Identifying opportunities to improve the overall cybersecurity posture across all levels of Kansas's government;
- Identifying partnerships and avenues to maximize and leverage existing cybersecurity resources;
- Developing a framework for coordinated information sharing, response, simulation, and testing;
- Developing a coordinated and collaborative State of Kansas Cyber Response Plan;
- Recommending appropriate and cost-effective safeguards to reduce, eliminate, or recover from threats to data; and
- Recommending resources and possible methods to accomplish the task force's recommendations.
Local Meetings This Week:
On July 26, 2021, the Seattle City Council will hear another reading of the ordinance that would designate facial recognition technology as surveillance technology.
On July 27, 2021, the San Francisco Land Use and Transportation Committee will continue to consider an ordinance amending the Administrative Code to establish a rebuttable presumption that a commercial tenant who was legally required to shut down due to COVID-19 may be excused from having to pay rent that came due during the shutdown.
On July 27, 2021, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors will consider authorizing a public hearing to consider an amendment to the Code of the County of Fairfax, Virginia – Chapter 4 (Taxation and Finance) to add a new Article 30 to establish a disposable plastic bag tax.
American Legislative Exchange Council
Salt Lake City, Utah
Contact: Michael Behm